Sunday, January 29, 2006

Heaven's Day (sonnet)

Just a short precursor on this one - sonnets are haaaaaard to write since they have a fairly stringent structure to maintain iambic pentameter, 14 lines - 3 stanzas concluding with a 2 line tornada, and the rhyming scheme; granted, you can stretch the rules, but I wanted to adhere as best as I could. It's been a while, this one took me some time.

I selected the Wild Daisy IV by Kate Rowley over a more traditional flower in a meadow selection because it had this unkempt, "windy/bed-hair" feel to it. The poem has an obvious sensual current running through it that I thought would have been too overt with the accompanying picture had it been one of the many pieces of art about flowers that are just straight sex.

I would like some feedback on this- usually, I don't like offering any explanations or context for the poetry I like because I feel that it will affect a bias of influence on the reader's opinion-- not letting them draw their own conclusions. What do you think? Yay or nay?

Pink flower with your petals to the air,

Craving rising sun that warms and delights;

You rest, rooted in verdant earthly care,

Knowing I warm you by heavenly nights.


Nymphs frolic and nuzzle your slender stem,

Licking gems of dew that bead from morning,

While a soft breeze whispers by your leaves' hem

Yielding thoughts of distant autumn's warning.


Afternoon light stretches, sunning your rest-

provoking desires to uproot and sway,

then ride the tall hill's sloping, windswept crest

held in heady hands to end heaven's day.


Evening's starlight heralds night's covering blanket;

The sun disappears like cupid's arrow sank it.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful... erotic... sweet... !! ;)

I LOVE it!

30 January, 2006 19:10  

Post a Comment

<< Home