Sunday, December 18, 2005

football and ROE

I watched the Patriots kills the Buc's yesterday (28-0); today, it's the Chargers over the Colts (currently 16-0 in 3rd QTR). I have to admit, I'd like to see the Colts go undefeated. Couldn't care less otherwise about them, but football history would be better for it. As for the Buc's, I'm on the fence about them. Okay, it won't be a shut-out, they just kicked a FG. Even though, I live in Tampa Bay now, I just can't quite rally behind them when I watch.

I found this one guy's blog who calls himself "Middle Class Guy". He was ranting about general annoyances under the guise of the usual "feels good to be a white guy Christian" in a judeo-Christian [sic] country. First one, haven't heard it this season yet, "Screw all y'all "Happy Holiday" people. I don't care if you're offended, Merry Christmas!" [paraphrased sentiment, not actual quote] I don't know anybody who is offended by Merry Christmas. I'm Jewish. I also happen to celebrate Christmas (complicated upbringing-- some Jewish, some Southern-Baptist, and some agnostic humanism). It's not a question of businesses offending certain people-- they are making the cognizant choice of trying to be inclusive of all customers, as opposed to accidentally excluding a few. Christmas shouldn't be about commerce anyway, so is it inhibiting your religious freedoms any? Wow, now a TD; I must be a good luck charm for the Colts. The second half is its use in public institutions: government, schools, etc. This gets a little mazy. Constitutionally, it's verboten, which I guess is all that matters.

One other post got my goat. He explained we should support the military because they're middle class. I'm too irritated to go into the full explanation. It was essentially regurgitated Ann Coulter bullshit, ie - "I am an ignorant civilian who thinks that Democrats are destroying our country's will to fight (to be fair, they're not exactly helping) and we need to throw out those stupid Rules of Enagement that keep our god-fearin' soldiers from just killing them heathen rag-heads and fixin' the damn war right away" [should be read with a Midwest twang].

Well, if you like to visit and add to my post that I have submitted [we'll see if it gets published]:
http://middleclassguy.blogspot.com/.

Geez, Colts are now up 17-16. 17 points in minutes. Intuition tells me that they still won't win the Super Bowl though; I think Manning will suffer the same fate as Marino.

2 Comments:

Blogger Psyche said...

My only question would be: are you from a Jewish egg, or are you Jewish in the religious persuaion only? i.e. - would Isreal have to let you in if you wanted to claim citizenship? Just nosey... Still working on a response to Entropy (below) but I think it will be a while and 2am is no time to try it.

24 December, 2005 02:37  
Blogger brio said...

interesting way to phrase the question-technically, i am both. although, i do not like to classify myself according to a religious preference. i have studied and participated in catholicism, protestantism, judaism, and buddhism.

thanks for the feedback and support-i'm glad you visited his website and left some feedback. i think it's important to engage in open, polite, and honest discourse on these kind of issues.

25 December, 2005 18:02  

Post a Comment

<< Home